Saturday, January 31, 2009

Post-its make life more fun.

My first test is on monday. 

Sociology of deviance. The concept of the class is quite awesome actually. The learning material is pretty interesting, and we only have to take 3 tests. No mid-term, no final. The 2 best marks out of 3 are taken and BOOM! There's your mark. Personally, all classes should be this way. It would relieve the added stress of those dreadful words: MID-TERM and FINAL!

I woke up this morning and told myself: "At 12, I will begin studying." As i opened my cupboard (only to find that my brother finished the Alpha Bits, and I finished my vanilla shreddies, my only option left was rice crispies) I sprinkled some Quik on top and went back to my room. As I flipped through the channels to find something interesting to watch, I found Practical Magic, which was my favorite movie as a kid. Obviously, I watched it from beginning to end. And now, here I am. Blogging, and not studying, which according to my class is a deviant behavior. 

My study habits are quite good actually. As I review my chapters, I write all the important points on post-its and place them above my bed in a categorized manner. This not only helps me study better, but if ever I want to brush up on the objectivist theories on deviant behavior (i.e. statistical rarity, harm, negative societal reaction, and most importantly, normative violation) I can simply walk over to my bed and read the properly marked post-it. I tried this method last semester for my Pre 1600 British Literature final, wherein I had to memorize 50 definitions, supported by 5 examples per definition. This was the outcome:


Each pink post-it marked the category (i.e genre, people, concepts etc) and each yellow post-it marked the definition with the 5 supporting examples. (p.s its backwards, cuz i took the picture with my PhotoBooth so the computer had to face the wall). In any case, I began my post-it strategy for this class on Thursday and have yet to continue it. This test covers chapters 1-3. I have yet to read the third chapter and am 2 post-its shy of completing the first chapter upon my wall. List of things to do today and tommorow and a little bit for monday:

TODAY:
- finish post-its for chapter 1 and 2
- read chapter three
- catch up on post 1600 british literature readings
- make something yummy for lunch with the serious lack of food in the house. be creative.

TONIGHT:
- decide whether or not to eat dinner at home with mommy or at apartment with bf.
- go to bf's apartment.
- go to brutopia tonight for alex's birthday and get ma drink on.
- decide whether or not to sleep at bf's apartment.

TOMORROW:
- do post-its for chapter three
- go over post-its for chapters 1 through 3 again. memorize!
- begin making valentine's gift for bf
- catch up on sociology of cyberspace readings.

MONDAY:
- potentially skip first two classes to cram for socio test.
- refuse to accept a failing mark :)

I have now set a goal for the next few days, it is important that I keep up with these goals and realize it is now 2 hours past the time i decided to begin studying. I am now officially beginning study/post-it time. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment